Friday, January 14, 2011

No bake chocolate cookies

My friend calls me up and tells me that she's doing a fast. A "no dairy, no wheat, no meat" fast. It was for 40 days. She went on to say in no uncertain terms that unless I wanted to end our friendship immediately, I would do the fast with her. 

I think that's what she said. I can't imagine under what other circumstances I would have agreed to do a fast of that sort for that long.

Yeah, as I think back on it, I'm pretty sure that's how it went down.

As I look back on it, seriously, I learned a lot about food- Why I eat, what I eat and when I eat. It wasn't a spiritual fast at all, but it really turned out to be one for me. I realized that for me, food wasn't just for nourishment. And that can be a bad thing.

I also learned that there are times that if I don't have something chocolate, I will sprout horns, foam at the mouth and decimate anything in my path.

That's how it feels anyway.
So in the midst of this fast, I ran to my computer to search for some sort of something I could whip up that would satisfy my sweet tooth, and I found this recipe. It was so good that I kept it and continue to make them. The kids like them, and I was surprised at how good they were, considering how healthy they are!

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies



Ingredients:

2/3 cup maple syrup 
1/4 cup oil (I use coconut)
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup peanut butter (natural with no hydrogenated oils)
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the maple syrup, oil, cocoa and cinnamon. Boil for three minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter, rolled oats and vanilla until well blended. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto waxed paper and chill to set, about 30 minutes. 


It's a really good cookie that will satisfy you even if you are in the midst of a fast to save a friendship. :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that's not how it went down, but it's your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad made these cookies all the time when I was growing up so I love them for sentimental reasons and because they're good too. and, I was there when "the fast" was first discussed, and I don't quite remember it like you do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahaha! I love the way you "remember" things. And love these cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to make them with rice crispy cereal in place of the oats (Corinne can't have oats). not sure I liked them. Simone liked them till I put them in the fridge. she said they were too soft. can't please anyone around here. will have to try them as it says, with oats next time.

    ReplyDelete