Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A food blog? Really?

I'm not all that good of a cook. I didn't learn to cook really until I had kids. Even now I don't consider myself all that good of a cook. Matter of fact, most nights, as I serve dinner, I think, "Well, it's not gourmet, but at least you won't starve..."

Now I say that loosely, because I know all too well that something like around 30,000 kids will die today of starvation and/or preventable disease. And given my choice, I'd be there, somewhere, trying to stop that. But for now, I'm here. So I'll be irreverent and say stuff like, "You won't starve..." when that has a larger, truer meaning for so much of the world. 

Where was I?

Oh yeah. This is a food blog. I should save that stuff for the other blog. (I hate how pretentious that sounds, "My other blog." Blech.) 

Anyway. Back to my not being a good cook. I do love to look for and try new recipes. And I do. And I cook them. And I love them. And then I lose them. Or I post them on Facebook and someone says, "Where is that recipe?" and I'll think, "I don't know; it's buried under all my brilliant status updates."

It then dawned on me to put them all somewhere where I can actually categorize and organize them and find them.  And if someone wants it, they can come here and look for it. And I do have an old fashioned recipe card cookbook, but honestly I hate printing recipes out and putting them there. Waste of ink and paper if I can just stick them here. See, I can save the planet too!

But these aren't MY recipes. I don't really have any. Except for my chili. Which is just plain old chili. Nothing fancy. So I'm not going to actually invent any recipes here, thankfully. I'm just going to share the ones I like. Or didn't like. And then I can actually cook them! And save my kids from their favorite dinner, (organic) boxed macaroni and cheese. Really. It's their favorite. I try to not be offended by that. 

So there you go. A food blog. As if the world needed another. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I am the first to post a comment.

    Well, I will visit here, cause I am a fan of your recipes you posted. Many I have fixed from your Real Simple and I have loved. I am one of those who ask about one and sometimes it does take a while to go back too, so on that note, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoying reading your food blog. I had a similar thought about starting a blog this year to blog all the new recipes I try and all the crazy health stuff I try. Have yet to start that...maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete