Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chicken Gumbo

This is a family favorite, and I've made it for years. (Okay, fine, I have to pick out the okra for the boys. Oh well.) 

It's really just a super simple chicken soup. I'm not sure I'd really call it "gumbo" since usually those have lots more ingredients and are a little more fancy. This is just simple and easy. 


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups stewed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (I use instant brown rice in a pinch)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 cup sliced okra
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
Again I use a whole chicken cooked in the slow cooker. Then you have your cooked chicken and your broth already. Just add water to the bottom of the slow cooker before you add your chicken.
I also make more soup with the entire chicken to eat for lunch or to freeze for later.

Directions:

  • in a large pot, cook onion and celery in 1 tablespoon of broth until tender
  • add remaining broth, tomatoes and rice
  • bring to a boil
  • reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes
  • add green pepper, okra, bay leaf, salt and pepper
  • cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender
  • add chicken and serve through
  • serve immediately
That's it! I normally throw it back into the slow cooker to keep it warm and simmery until it's time to eat. I love the way the house smells-all warm and cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment