Thursday, September 8, 2011

Salmon what?

Croquettes. I call them salmon croquettes, because that sounds fancier than "Salmon Cakes." 

And much better than "salmon from a can."

No really, though, salmon is good for you, and wild caught canned salmon isn't that bad. I use it in place of tuna in "tuna fish salad" and it's good that way too! Plus it's inexpensive, which is a definite plus. 

So try this recipe. And you MUST try the alternatives suggested by this mom, including the sauce ( I use plain yogurt instead of mayo. )

(link)

"Excellent and with such simple ingredients. I always make this with leftover salmon, not a fan of canned fish. I just double the ingredients if I have more salmon. A nice variation is to saute 1 tablespoon of finely minced garlic and parsley (fresh or dried) in some olive oil (appx. 1 tablespoon), then add to the mixture. The oil adds moistness and the garlic adds a fantastic flavor and aroma, just like in the restaurants. I've added dill, garlic powder, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder, whatever I have on hand for more flavor. And definitely serve with garlic aioli or garlic mayonaise. (Mayo - 1/2 cup mayonaise, 1 garlic clove minced, dash of paprika and lemon juice.) Serve a small dollop on top and you're dining in style. My kids love this too. Nice for small ones just learning to chew since they can mash this easily in their mouths. Nice company dinner too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment