Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore

I really feel like I have written this post already. I'm hoping not. It's like a huge case of Blogger's Deja Vu. 

Anyway, I love my old cookbook. It's 15 years old, splattered and falling apart. I cling to it, though, because it was written when food was still cooked from scratch. I'm big on that. I don't like recipes that tell me to use anything store bought. If this cookbook tells you to use a pie crust, they tell you how to whip one up. Biscuits? Recipe. Croissant? Yep. It's in there.

I love that.

Anyway, this recipe is on the same page with Chicken and Dumplings, which I need to get typed up soon too. It's all from scratch and it's so good.
Take note that this dish has to simmer on the stove for 30-40 minutes. It's not one you can whip up in 15 minutes and serve. It's so easy to prepare, but there is that simmer time to consider. 

Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients:

  1. 2 to 2 1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (I use organic thighs because they are cheap and go well with this recipe - usually boneless)
  2. 2 T olive oil
  3. I medium onion, minced
  4. 1 clove garlic, minced
  5. 1 7 1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
  6. 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  7. 3/4 c of dry white wine (I buy those little 4 packs of small bottles to have on hand to cook with. I'm not a fan of white wine, so it's safe in my pantry)
  8. 1 4-ounce can mushrooms, drained
  9. 2 T snipped fresh parsley (I use dried, the same amount)
  10. 1 t sugar
  11. 1/2 t salt
  12. 1/2 t dried rosemary, crushed
  13. 1/2 t dried thyme, crushed
  14. 1/4 t dried oregano, crushed
  15. 1/8 t pepper
  16. Hot cooked spaghetti 
Directions:

1. Cook chicken in a skillet in hot oil until done, turning to brown evenly. Add onion and garlic the last 5 minutes of cooking, then drain off fat.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, mushrooms, parsley, sugar, salt, rosemary, thyme, oregano and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour over chicken in skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Turn chicken once during cooking. Serve over hot spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment